Pages

Friday, October 10, 2014

Pinterest: Onion Rings

Here's the pin I used

I was making crock pot teriyaki chicken (review to follow), and it called for a half cup of onion.  So then I had half an onion left and nothing to do, since dinner was cooking itself.  I remember my mom mentioning she had made onion rings from pinterest the other day, and how she really loved them but it was a lot of effort.  
The truth: It's not a lot of effort and it's way worth it.  If that's the only thing you're doing.  If you're like my momma, and you're trying to make burgers, fixins, and onion rings, well...yeah.  It's hectic.

I haphazardly sliced my onion, try to aim for uniform slice thickness, unlike moi.  
I used italian bread crumbs instead of making my own.  The only thing I would suggest is adding more salt and pepper, maybe even some red pepper flakes?  Mmmm.

I used two baking racks to hold the rings, I put some paper towel underneath to catch any access batter from messing up the counter.

When it came down to frying, it was painless.  I used my electric deep fryer and a pair of chopsticks to add the rings in, flip them after a minute or two, and let them cook on that side too.  I like extra crunchy, so I actually dunked them under the oil for a few seconds as well to get a last second crunch in there.  I set them down on a few folded up paper towels.

It was so delicious, and such a quick snack.  We devoured them while doing homework during a lazy afternoon.  I put the ones we didn't eat in some tupperware and I'll set 'em under the broiler when I need a snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment